Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Flower Power Fondant Cake


This is the cake that I made for my mom's 50th Birthday party.

This is the first time that I have ever done anything with fondant and I was in a bit of a rush at the time, so it isn't perfect, but I think it turned out alright.

My mom was expecting a brightly colored cake from a particular bakery from a town nearby, but when I called to place the order I was told that they were all booked. I panicked! I didn't know what I was going to do, but after reading tons of helpful advice on the Internet I finally got the confidence to go for it and make the cake myself.

I went the easy route by buying instant cake mix, canned frosting and a box of ready to go fondant. I used neon dyes and a Wilton's flower shaped fondant cutter. A friend was nice enough to help me out, so that made things a lot easier too. She kneaded all the dyes into the white fondant while I baked and frosted the cakes. I used regular white cake mix instead of the firm pound cake mix, but it still held the fondant up very well.

It was not as difficult as I thought it would have been and my mom was thrilled! She absolutely loved the cake and so did all of her friends. It really turned out to be a great birthday party.



No comments:

Post a Comment